Monday, January 2, 2012

mini Turkey Empanadas


Happy New year everyone!

I wanted to make a savory empanada for awhile now.  My mother makes the most wonderful empanada’s which are fried.  But I thought I would take a different approach and do something a little healthier for the New Year.  Well, they were a hit!  I served them to a group of 8 hunger men watch our team (the Chargers) win their final game of the year.   Not one empanada was left.   When I was looking for an inspirational recipe I came across a follow blogger version (bethmichelle.com ) which had more of a Mexican spin to it. But I decided to do a little experimenting in the kitchen on my own and came up with a more of an Italian style empanada.  The flavors combined perfectly. You will love the savory turkey with all the spices.  The goat cheese at the end just added just enough creaminess.  I never mentioned to the guys they were all eating goat cheese, but I do not think they would have cared!  I hope you give this recipe a try. I know I will definitely be making it again in my own family functions. Happy Cooking!



Ingredients

For Empanada Dough

3 Cups Flour
1 Teaspoon Salt

¼ cup of chopped Italian parsley

3 Tablespoons Butter, Softened

1/2 Cup Water
1 Egg
1 Egg white
1 Teaspoon apple cider Vinegar




For Filling

3 Tablespoons Olive Oil, Plus more for brushing
1/4 Cup green Onions, Chopped
1 Garlic Gloves, Chopped
1/2 Teaspoon salt, ¼ red pepper flakes
1 Teaspoon Italian spices
1 cup cooked White Beans (from a can)
3 Turkey Italian  Sausages, removed from casing
2 Tablespoons Goat Cheese


Directions

Dough

1.    In a large bowl (I used my kitchaid), combine flour, salt.  Add the chopped parsley.

2.    Cut butter into small piece and put into flour.  Using a fork combine the butter into the flour till it is well blended (I used my whisk attached on the kitchaid, for about 4 minutes)  Flour will appear crumbly.  Form a well in the center of the flour. Set aside.

3.    In a medium size bowl, combine water, eggs and apple cider vinegar.   Whip until all is well incorporated. 



4.    Add the liquid mixture to the well in the flour. Slowly stir until all the liquid is absorbed by the flour.

5.     Turn flour on to a floured surface and kneel until it is a smooth surface. ( I used the kneel attachment on the kitchaid about about 3-5 minutes.

6.    Coat dough ball with a little bit of olive oil and wrap in plastic wrap.  Refrigerate for 1 hour.


As dough is chilling make filling.

Filling

1.    Heat the olive oil in a large skillet.   Add the turkey out of casing (looking like ground beef). Cook for about 8-10 minutes at medium high heat till you start to see no more pink.  

2.    Add garlic, green onions, beans and spices. Cook for an additional 5 minutes,

3.    Remove from heat.  Add the goat cheese and stir , till the goat cheese in mixed in with the turkey filling. Cool filling until the dough is ready.


4.    In a large floured surface, roll out dough( I got about a 20’ round),  using a large round pastry  cutter or as I did, a large cup. Cut circles out of the dough. 



5.    Fill each circle with about 1 ½ tablespoons of filling. The dough is very elastic so you can pull over to cover. 



6.    Fold in half and crimp the edge with a fork.



7.    Place in a large cookie oiled cookie tray.Brush the empanadas with the olive oil.




8.    Bake for 15 minutes until lightly brown.  Brush the empanada another coat of olive oil.


9.    You will get about 18-25 empanadas depending of the size of your cutter.

No comments:

Post a Comment