As I am writing this post, I am eating a jar of the Back to School Berry Apple Swiss Oatmeal my eighteen year old step daughter made for her dad and I. She absolutely loves these jars for breakfast, lunch and dinner , LOL! I thought it would be a good idea for her to do a run through on the recipe to see how it tasted if someone else made it. Just as delicious.
If you're not a breakfast person like me, this is a great alternative. The flavors are crisp and creamy from the apples and yogurt and with a hearty flavor from the oatmeal and nuts. It will keep you full til lunch so you're not snacking. If you are always in a rush in the morning (like me) packing lunches and get myself out the door, this is a great shortcut. I make them on Sunday night and we are ready to go on Monday morning, just grab a jar and a topping bag and I'm out the door. Trust me when I say, I make this weekly... my family absolutely loves these jars. I cannot believe I waited so long to start making them. But here they are now. So I hope you give this recipe a try...
Happy Cooking everyone!
Makes 8 jars
3 cups Old Fashioned Oats
3 cups Lowfat Vanilla Yogurt (not Greek)
2 cups Low Fat Milk (or you can use Vanilla Almond Milk)
4 Tablespoon Honey
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
pinch of salt
3 Granny Smith Apples, cored and sliced into cubes
1 cup sliced Strawberries or 1 cup Blueberries
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 cup of toasted almond slices
3 tablespoons light brown sugar or 2 tablespoons of white sugar
8-16 oz Mason Jars (Target is a great source for these)
1. In a Large bowl add 3 cups of old fashioned oats
2. Add 3 cups vanilla yogurt
3. Add 2 cups of milk, 3 tablespoons of honey and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Mix everything together
5. Add chopped apples into the large bowls
7. Fold in the cut up fruit into the yogurt/oat mixture
8. Add 2-3 1/4 cups measurements of mixture into each of the mason jars. Tighten lids and put in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours.
9. Turn on oven to 350 degrees. Add 1 cup a sliced almonds to cookie sheet. Spray with coconut oil or vegetable oil. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 5 minutes, till nuts are golden. Remove from oven and cool. Put 2-3 tablespoons of nut mixture in 8 plastic snack bags and serve with Berry Apple Swiss Oatmeal.