Cami's Wedding Churro Cupcakes
This little cupcake has made a name for itself! Faye and I recently catered dessert for our friend Cami's wedding in October. She requested that one of her desserts be a Churro Cupcake. (We also made, mini cheesecake with fresh strawberries, vanilla cupcake with passion fruit filling and frosting, mini chocolate cream pies, mini banana cream pies and assorted fruit tarts and the now famous Cami's Churro Cupcake.. this bride know her dessert! ) So after a few trials and errors, I came up with this delicious result! I have made this cupcake for two other events and every time it is hit. Faye also made a batch for our October Halloween party. So like I said , this cupcake definitely has a good reputation! The cake is moist and flavorful, with a little hidden surprise of Dulce de Leche caramel in the middle. Top it off with Cinnamon Cream Cheese frosting and a crispy churro on the top.
There are quite a few steps for this cupcake but they're so worth the effort. I really hope you give this Churro Cupcake a try.
As for Cami and Tim's Wedding , it was beautiful! The Bride looked gorgeous, Groom handsome and the wedding amazing. Faye and I wish them nothing but happiness in their future and we thank them for letting LIVEBAKELOVE be a part of it.
P.S. we heard the desserts were a hit too, I wonder who made them :-)
Churro Cupcakes with Dulce de Leche Filling and Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Makes 24 regular size cupcakes
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
1 ½ cups cake flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened to room temp
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs, room temp
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 ¼ cup milk (use whole if you can)
1 can Dulce de Leche
1 . Preheat oven to 350f.
2. Line cupcake pans with 24 paper cupcake liners
3. In a large bowl, add both flours, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl using electric hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy (approx. 2 min). Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition and scraping down the bowl as needed. Beat in the vanilla extract.
5. Gradually mix in the flour mixture and milk, alternating between the two until combined. (Start and end with the flour mixture)
6. Divide the batter evenly between the lined cupcake pans filling each cup approx. 3/4 full.
7. Bake at 350f for approx. 20 minutes until the centers are set and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
8. Remove from the pan and place on a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
9. Once the cupcakes have cooled, take a wooden spoon and make a hole in the center of each cupcake.
10. Use a pastry bag with a round tip (or just cut the tip off of a plastic storage bag) and fill it with the Dulce de Leche filling.
11. Pipe the filling into each cupcake
Make the frosting
½ cup of butter
8 oz cream cheese softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
5 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk or cream
24 mini churros for decorating
1. With an electric mixer, cream the butter and cream cheese together until smooth and creamy
2. Mix in the vanilla extract and cinnamon
3. Gradually mix in the powdered sugar to achieve desired consistency. If frosting is too thick, add the milk.
4. Frost and decorate the cupcakes as desired.
Making the Mini Churros
1 wheat tortilla
½ cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Vegetable or Canola Oil for frying
1. Combine cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl
2. Heat oil over medium-high heat
3. Cut shapes out of the tortilla using a mini cookie cutter
4. Fry each tortilla until golden brown
5. Remove from the oil and toss in the cinnamon sugar mixture
6. Place the churros on a plate to cool before garnishing the cupcakes