Cake is my favorite dessert, any type any flavor. I love bready things (is bready a even word? If not, it should be!).
September was my sister Wendy's birthday. All bakers will understand this, sometimes you are not in the mood to bake. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen every once in a while...especially when its 90 degrees outside and you have no air conditioning!
Anyways, my sisters asked me to bake a cake for Wendy's birthday. I asked them, “ why don’t you buy a nice ice cream cake? Doesn’t that sounds gooood! “ Their response, “WHAT! LIVEBAKELOVE doesn’t bake for their own families?”This comment still makes me laugh when I think about it…so that is how this delicious peach filled birthday cake came to be...
Since I still had a few peaches left from the cobbler (you need to try that recipe too, it was so good), I decided to take the basic cake recipe I love, add some cinnamon and make a nice peach filling to go with it. The results were a success!
The cake was delicious! The hint of cinnamon was just right, not overpowering, the filling was naturally sweet and the whipped cream frosting was fluffy and light.Definitely the perfect way to end a birthday dinner. In fact, I'm still craving that damn cake. I guess someone will have to have a birthday again real soon!
I hope you give this delicious cake a try. It's great for any occasion or just because....
Happy Cooking everyone!
Cinnamon Cake with Fresh Peach Filling and Whipped Cream Frosting
Makes one 8" - 9" Cake, serves 10-12 people
1 cup Granulated Sugar
1 3/4 cup Cake Flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon (if you can find Vietnamese Cinnamon that is the best)
5 tablespoons Butter (unsalted, softened to room temp & cut into small pieces)
2 large eggs, room temperature
1/3 cup sour cream (use full fat, not the light)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons pure Vanilla extract (not imitation)
2 fresh large peaches, peeled & chopped into 1/2 inch squares
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 tablespoons water
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon Flour
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Whipped Cream Frosting
3 cups heaving whipping cream
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
a. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
b. Grease and flour two 8 inch cake pans.
Directions for the cake:
1. In the bowl of your Kitchen-aid (or mixing bowl and a hand mixer) combine sugar, cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Mix at low speed until combined. Set aside.
2. Add butter and mix on low speed until it resembles a crumble (about 2-3 minutes).
3. In a separate bowl, combine eggs, sour cream, vegetable oil and vanilla. Mix until all ingredients are combined.
4. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture. Mix until combined.
5. Slowly add the milk into batter mixing just until combined. The batter will be liquid when done. but that is ok.
5. Divide batter equally between both of the prepared cake pans.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
7. Remove from oven and cool on a wire cooling rack for 30 minutes. Remove cakes from pan and continue to cool on the wire cooling rack until completely cooled (approx 1-2 hours).
Directions for Filling: (can be made the day before)
1. Peel and chop two large peaches and place them in a medium size saucepan.
2. Add sugar, water, cinnamon and vanilla. Cook at medium heat.
3. Sprinkle in the flour. Stir as you add so it doesn't bubble up.
4. Cook for about 3-5 minute until it boils and thickens up. Do not over cook, otherwise the fruit will start breaking down.
5. Cool about 1-2 hour (I put mine in the refrigerator to speed up the process)
Directions for Frosting:
1. Prepwork: Chill your bowl, either the kitchen-air bowl or a plain mixing bowl. 15-30 minutes is fine
2. Add 3 cups of heavy whipping cream in the bowl with , 6 table spoons of white sugar (not powder) and 2 teaspoons of vanilla.
3. Mix at a high speed for about 2-3 minutes with kitchen-aid, about 5 minutes with the hand mixer. The Cream will appear firm.
1. Put one layer of cake on a large platter.
2. Add about 1 cup of whipped cream to top of layer.
3. Add all the peach filling on top of whipped cream
4. Add second cake layer
5. Frost with remaking whipped cream frosting.
6. Decorate as you wish.