Monday, October 21, 2013

Vanilla Cake with Passion Fruit Curd Filling and Cream Cheese Frosting

Yvonne and I recently made desserts for a friend's wedding. She requested an assortment of over 500 mini desserts. It was a daunting task, but we were up for the challenge!

 
 
 One of her requests was Mini Vanilla Cupcakes with Passionfruit Buttercream. Not having worked with Passionfruit in baking that much, I knew I wanted the flavor of the Passionfruit to shine, so I wanted to find Passionfruit in it's most concentrated form. No watered down, diluted juice or fake extracts. After searching high and low in numerous Asian markets, I just happened to find this frozen Passionfruit Puree in a local Mexican market. Who knew!?
 
 
Needless to say, the flavor was exactly what I was looking for & the Passionfruit Buttercream turned out amazing. You could smell the fresh Passionfruit. At the last minute, I decided to bump up the Passionfruit flavor even more by filling the cupcakes with a Passionfruit Curd. And boy am I glad I did! I have to say that this Passionfruit Curd is one of the most delicious curds I have ever tasted in my life. It was mind blowing good! Sorry Lemon Curd, there's a new favorite in town....
 
This curd is so good (and so easy to make), I knew I had to share the recipe. Please, please, please, find some Passionfruit Puree and make this curd. You will not be disappointed.



 
 
Passionfruit Curd
Makes about 2 cups 
 
Ingredients:
6 egg yolks
1 cup of granulated sugar
1/2 cup Passionfruit Puree
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
dash of salt
 
Directions:
 
In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the sugar, egg yolks and passionfruit puree. Whisk to combine and continue whisking until the mixture turns bubbly and thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon (this takes a few minutes).
 
Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter and dash of salt until thoroughly combined.
 
Strain through a wire mesh strainer (into a glass bowl or jar) to remove any small clumps of egg. Tip: You can skip this step if you don't have a strainer, but straining will give you a smoother curd.
 
Cool to room temperature before refrigerating.
 
Store tightly covered in the fridge for up to 1 week.
 
Use as a cake, cupcake or tart filling, as a topping for scones or toast or wherever you would normally use a fruit curd. Or just eat it with a spoon! I won't tell....

 
 
Recently, I used it as a filling for a Vanilla Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting garnished with toasted coconut. It was delicious!

Just use your favorite Vanilla Cake and Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe. Layer with the Passionfruit Curd and garnish with toasted coconut.

Here's the link to the recipe I used. It was easy to make and delicious! Just follow the cake and frosting recipe & fill with the Passionfruit Curd instead of the Lemon Filling.

http://what2cook.net/2013/03/21/lemon-coconut-cake/
 
Time Saving Tip: Make the curd the day before you make the cake.


 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 

22 comments:

  1. Why, yes, I do believe that is the most amazing passionfruit curd. I haven't even tasted it and I just want to bathe in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...Passion Fruit Curd bath? Sounds good to me!

      Delete
  2. Yum- please pass me a piece of that cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Passion fruit is one of my very favorite flavors! It's so funny that you posted this, because I was thinking of playing around with passion fruit buttercream next week (and yes, I always use that frozen Goya puree!) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! I wasn't much of a Passion Fruit fan until now. I'll definitely be baking with it more often. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

      Delete