Oh yeesssss.... these bars so amazing, they're worthy of a marriage proposal.
At one my boyfriend's recent VW Car Shows, I sent him with a few batches of these sweet treats to share. Let's just say I received several thank you emails and a good, old fashioned proposal! Nope, not from the boyfriend, but from a happily married man! That is one of the sweetest compliments a baker can receive, someone loving your desserts as much as you do and wanting to marry you for it...
So I'll keep the desserts coming to these guys and girls. They really know how to make a baker feel special. Now back to these Lemon Coconut Bars... they are the perfect combination of sweet and tart. One flavor doesn't over power the other. The coconut shortbread crust is the perfect compliment to the citrus filling.
I hope you give these "Lemon Coconut Bars" a try for your next event. You just might wind up engaged!
Happy Cooking Everyone!
Lemon Coconut Shortbread Bars
2 cups All purpose Flour
1 cup Unsalted Butter, Softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup of sweetened shredded coconut
4 large eggs, lightly whisked
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup powdered sugar
Preheat oven 350 degree
Juice the lemon then zest set aside
Line a 9"x13" baking pan with foil and then parchment paper (makes for much easier clean up).
1. Mix together Flour, Butter, Sugar and Coconut until well combined. Form into a ball.
2. Put the dough ball into the prepared baking dish. Gently press down till the dough evenly covers the bottom of the prepared pan.
3. Bake approx 18-20 minutes
While the crust is baking, start on the filling.
1.Mix together 1 1/2 cups sugar, salt, 1/4 cup flour and baking powder.
2. Mix together whisked eggs, lemon juice with zest and vanilla.
3. Add the sugar mixture to the egg-lemon mixture until it is blended to a smooth batter.
Remove crust from oven
1. Pour egg mixture over the hot crust making sure you have covered all the surface.
2. Bake for an additional 20-25 minutes
3. Cool completely.
4. Cut into 20 squares.
5. Sprinkle with powder sugar