I know I have posted quite a few recipes in the past using lemons, but honestly when your father has two beautiful lemon trees that produce an abundance of fruit, I am constantly inspired.
So this recipe came together after my mother invited us over for dinner. Since they were supplying the dinner , I told her I would supply dessert. Of course, those beautiful, fresh lemons came to mind...
Since my guy loves ice cream and my parents love cake and they both love lemon, this Lemon Basil Pound Cake with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream and fresh Strawberry topping was born! The basil was my new twist... let's just say I received a few skeptical stares from the mother :-) I love when I can pull one over on her.
Anyways, the final product was soooo good, I kid you not! The skeptics turned into believers. There was actually an argument as to whether the left overs stayed at mom's or came home with us. In the end, we compromised and split it.
The addition of basil into the batter added a nice, refreshing flavor, actually toned down the lemon a bit . The cake was moist and flavorful. I will definitely be making this again!
Happy cooking everyone!
Lemon Basil Pound Cake with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream and Fresh Strawberry Topping
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon finely chopped basil
zest of one lemon
1 cup salted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
4 large eggs, room temp
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup lemon juice (from 3-4 large lemons)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup granulated sugar
zest of 1 lemon
1 1/2 cup chopped strawberries
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 Pint Vanilla Bean Ice Cream ( I used Haagen Dazs)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Chop basil
3. Zest one of the lemons than juice all of the lemons to make 1/4 + 1/3 cup juice
5. Spray a 9" loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
1. In large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.
2. Stir in basil. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of your Kithen-aid stand mixer or using your hand mixer, cream together the butter and 1 cup granulated sugar until creamy.
4. Add eggs, one egg at the time, mixing until combined.
5. Mix in vanilla extract.
6. Slowly add in 1/2 of the flour into egg/sugar mixture, then 1/2 the lemon juice. Repeat
7. Pour finished batter into prepared pan
8. Bake for 50-60 minute, until center is firm and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Do not overbake.
9. Cool in pan for 10 minutes
10. While cake is cooling... Mix together 1/3 lemon juice and 1/3 sugar and zest of one lemon
12. Once cake is cooled, cut into 1 inch slices. To serve, top with ice cream and the fresh strawberries.