Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Healthier Alternative to Starbucks Loaf Breads




Ok, I know it's the time of year when we should be dieting, and part of me is per se, but one thing I have probably mentioned before is I have a very, very hard time giving up bread! Any type, any kind, I LOVE them!  
So, in keeping with the healthier eating goal, I had to find a way to stop going to Starbucks for coffee and piece of loaf bread or muffin every other day :-).  
For this recipe, I was actually inspired by an episode of Trisha Yearwood's Food Network show.  She made a lemon loaf that looked so delicious I had to try it! I started there and revised the recipe to fit what I wanted it to be...a healthier, delicious replacement for my Starbucks obsession :-)  
I have been working on this easy and delicious loaf bread recipe for a few weeks now (trust me, I have baked plenty of loaves these last couple of weeks!) and I have finally perfected it! Now that I have my perfect recipe, I can bake it on Sunday and have my breakfast bread for the week which I enjoy with yogurt or maybe a boiled egg and coffee I brew myself at home.
Oh, I still miss my morning Starbuck runs, but now they  have at least decreased and I actually enjoy it as a special treat. Plus I'm satisfying my craving for bread with a recipe that is probably better for me while saving some money in the process!

So now about the bread.... it's s hearty, flavorful, and perfect for coffee.  I have made it most often with banana, not the brown mushy kind more suited for banana bread, but with a perfect yellow banana at just the perfect ripeness for eating  (picture below).


I have occasionally switched out the banana for blueberries and the bread is just as good. Trust me, the base recipe is what counts! Switch out the fruit and use your favorite.

I hope you enjoy the recipe. Happy Cooking Everyone!


Ingredients
1 cup All Purpose Flour
1 cup Wheat Flour
3/4 Sugar (I have used 1/2 cup if you want to make it less sweet.
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Bananas (cut into 1/2" pieces) or 1 cup of blueberries
1/2 Pecans (optional)
1/4 mini Chocolate Chips
2 large eggs
1/3 cup full fat or lowfat yogurt (I prefer vanilla, honey or maple)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup melted butter  (unsalted, if you use salted, remove the 1/2 teaspoon salt above)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup lowfat milk (I have used both 2% and 1%)


Directions:
1. In large bowl, whisk the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt until well combined.

2. Add the chopped banana (or blueberries), nuts and chocolate chips.  Stir with a spoon until everything is coated in flour.


3. Create a well in the middle of flour/banana mixture and set aside.

4. In a second bowl, whisk together the 2 eggs, yogurt, oil, melted butter ,vanilla and milk.
  













5. Once combined, pour into the well you created in the flour mixture. Stir with a spoon just until all of the flour has been blended into egg mixture. DO NOT OVER MIX.





6. Pour into the prepared loaf pan.



7. Bake at 350 for 1 hour







If you would like to add a simple glaze... just combine 1/4 cup powder sugar and 1 tablespoon milk and 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Pour over slightly warm bread.







.  

No comments:

Post a Comment