Sunday, October 30, 2011

Halloween Party Mix

Happy Halloween Everyone!

                                                        (Faye and i with our friend Sheila)

I would like to start by saying that this is my FAVORITE holiday.  My family has had an annual Halloween party since I was in college.  So it has always been a holiday of old fashion fun and good food. Being friends for so many years,  Faye and I have been able to enjoy a lot of great Halloweens with fun costumes and great recipes through the year’s.  We both love the colors, the flavors and the smells!   So when it came to this week’s recipe I wanted to go to something that I go to every year.  The funny part is that every year I lose the recipe.  So it is you’re lucky year because I just happened to find it last weekend as I was filtering through some old recipes.   So now at least with the blog it is documented for good for all future times anyone of us wants to use this great recipe.  This is a great snack to make for a party or a treat for your co-workers for any holiday.  (Which is what both Faye and I are doing! )  ENJOY!



Halloween Party Mix

Recipe by Nestle (but has been revised)

Ingredients

9 cups Chex corn cereal squares

4 cups popped popcorn ( I used Orville Redenbacher Micro Wave Natural with Light salt)

1 ½ cups dry-roasted peanuts

1 cup packed light brown sugar

½ cup (1 stick) butter

½ cup light corn syrup

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

½ teaspoon baking soda

1 ¾ cups (holiday M&M’s, plain)

1 package (7.5 oz) milk chocolate covered or white chocolate pretzels (I used Nestles Flipz , they are located in the candy section at the store)

Directions

Preheat oven at 250 degree F.

1.       Grease a Large roasting pan , set aside

2.       Mix cereal, popped popcorn and peanuts in large bowl.  Pour it into the greased pan.

3.       Combine brown sugar, butter and corn syrup in medium heavy duty sauce pan.   Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil, without stirring for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and then add the vanilla and baking soda.  Stir, it will look like a creamy caramel sauce..  Pour evenly over cereal mixture.  Stir careful to not break down the cereal so that that cereal, popped corn and peanuts have the caramel on them. (Note: But if you’re not able to get it on all the cereal do not worry , as you start cooking it, it is easier to stir)


4.       Bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.  (Set your timer, it helps!)

5.        Remove from heat, and then start stirring it around in the pan for about 5 minutes so it starts to cool.  (Trust me, you will thank me.  It will keep it from sticking to the pan and not clump together had a few trial and error runs )

6.        Once completely cool, stir in M&M’s and Pretzels.  Then either put in a large bowl or individual containers.  If storing, put in a airtight container



No comments:

Post a Comment