Sunday, November 6, 2011

Sour Cream Cinnamon Buns

Sour Cream Cinnamon Buns

Hello Everyone….So its Rainy and cold this morning in San Diego, California, perfect weather for  homemade cinnamon buns.  For me, the smell of cinnamon reminds me of a nice fire and being snuggled under a thick blanket while my mom is making Chocolate de la Aguelita  while I wait to see what she baked in the oven.  Hmmmm… yummy… I do not think Faye and I have mentioned it, but we have both been blessed with amazing mothers that can cook.  Faye's mom makes amazing Filipino food from her heritage and then learned to cook Southern food for her husband since he was from the South.  If you ever get lucky enough to be in invited to her table (like me J ), you  get to eat crunch, savory Lumpia and have Southern buttery peach cobbler!! As for my mom, her Mexican food speaks for itself.  I do not think I have been to any Mexican restaurant in the US or Mexico that can compete with her cooking. My favorite being her Chicken Sopes with the homemade sope shell and Peach empanada, in which she makes the pastry and the jam from scratch.  Honestly, I do not think I will ever be as good a cook as my mother, but the skills I have gained from her I will have for the rest of my life J….see what rainy weather does to us Californians, we get nostalgic.   Now back to my Sour Cream Cinnamon Buns… let's just say they are so good that I ate one without icing and the second one after I put the icing on.  I do not know where I got this recipe from except to say it came from a magazine about 8 years ago.    I hope you guys really give this recipe a try as the holidays approach, your family will be knocked off their feet 1. That you made them homemade cinnamon rolls and 2. That they taste so damn good! Happy baking everyone!


Sour Cream Cinnamon Buns

Roll Ingredients
1-(8oz) carton sour cream
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 package active dry yeast (I used the rapid rise)
3 cups all purpose flour

Filling Ingredients

2 tablespoons butter
½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Icing Ingredients
1 ½ cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk

·         Heat sour cream in small sauce pan over medium low heat.

·         Combine warm sour cream, 2 tablespoons butter, 3 tablespoons sugar, salt and baking soda in a large mixing bowl.  Add egg and yeast: blend well. Add 1 ½ cups flour; beat at medium speed with a electric mixer until well blended. Gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
·         Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly 4-5 times. Cover and let rest 5 minutes.   ( I actually used the hook like attachment on my Kitchaid which does the kneading for you)








  •  Roll dough into an 18x6- inch rectangle; spread 2 tablespoons softened butter over dough. Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon over dough. Roll up dough, starting at long side, pressing firmly to eliminate air pockets, pinch seam to seal.

·         Slice roll into 12 (1 ½ inch) slices. Place cut side down, in greased muffin pan.  (as picture)

Cover pan and let rise in a warm place, free of drafts for 30 minutes or until doubled in size (as picture, see how they are bigger)

       ·         Bake at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until golden.

·         Remove buns from pan immediately: let cool on wire rack. Combine powdered sugar and milk; drizzle over buns.

No comments:

Post a Comment