Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Spinach, Tomato and Herbed Feta Frittata

Yvonne's posting on her Cherry Lemon Scones put me in a breakfast kinda mood. Breakfast is actually my favorite meal of the day (I even like to eat breakfast for dinner) and Frittata is one of my favorite things to make due to their versatility. A Frittata is essentially an Italian Omelette but much easier to make. They can be customized to suit any taste by using any combination of meat, vegetables and cheese you like. It's also great for cleaning out your fridge like I usually do!


Usually the cooking process for a Frittata starts off on the stove top and then finishes up in the oven or under the broiler after the eggs have set. Since I didn't have time to stand over the stove top waiting for eggs to set, I simplified the process by only cooking some of the ingredients on the stove top then whisking them all together and doing the rest of the cooking in the oven.

Ok, here's the cleaning out the fridge part....I had spinach, tomatoes, green onions and feta cheese so this is what I came up with.


Spinach, Tomato and Feta Frittata


Ingredients:
6 large eggs
3 large egg whites
3 Tablespoons lowfat milk (you can also use whole, skim, soy, heavy cream, half & half or water)
1/2 tsp kosher salt (since I was using a salty cheese I only used 1/2 tsp but you can add more if you like)
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
2 cups fresh spinach
3/4 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced in half lengthwise
1 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 cup green onions or chives, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2-3/4 cup feta cheese (I used Meditteranean Herbed Feta since that's what I had)
Note: I usually add 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley to my Frittatas but didn't have any on hand this time

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375. Spray a 9" glass pie plate or other type of glass baking dish with nonstick spray.

In a small skillet, heat 1 T olive oil over medium heat. Add green onions and saute for approx 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium-low (to prevent garlic from burning). Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds just to remove some of the raw garlic flavor. Add the spinach and cook just until wilted. This will happen pretty quickly. Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, milk, salt and pepper. Add the spinach mixture and stir to combine. Pour into the prepared pie plate/baking dish. Top with the tomatoes and sprinkle with the feta cheese.





Note: You can use all whole eggs instead of a combo of whole eggs and whites but I wanted to reduce some of of the cholesterol. Also, some people like to use water or half and half instead of milk. I usually use whatever I have.

Bake for approx 15- 20 minutes or until eggs are completely cooked and set in the center. Since all ovens are different, start checking after 15 minutes and continue to check until done. Remove from oven. Sprinkle with more cheese if you like. Note: Your frittata will look nice and puffy when you remove it from the oven but will settle/deflate as it cools. This is normal.


Serve warm or room temperature directly from the baking dish or remove to a platter.



Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 2 days.

Tip: To make mini Frittatas, bake in muffin pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Cooking time will be less. I like to use the silicone muffin pans when making mini Frittatas.

No comments:

Post a Comment