Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Baked Lemon Glazed Donuts



My inspiration for this recipe was the new Donut Pans I received recently for my birthday. I have been dying to get one for a while now and my thoughtful friend/co-worker, Merry, surprised me with not only one, but two Donut Pans for my birthday! I think she secretly wanted me to make donuts and bring some into work, which I did....


I guess you can say these donuts are kinda healthy.... they're baked, not fried, and are made with a combination of wheat and all-purpose flours as well as Greek Yogurt. They're surprisingly light and not overly sweet which means you can have more than one and not feel too guilty! No matter how you spell it (Doughnuts or Donuts), these Baked Lemon Glazed Donuts are delicious.

Baked Lemon Glazed Donuts
Makes 12 regular sized donuts

Ingredients:
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 small container of Chobani Lemon Green Yogurt (6 oz)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
Zest from one large lemon

Glaze Ingredients:
1 cup of powdered sugar
Juice from one lemon
Zest from 1/2 lemon

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees farenheight

Lightly spray 2 regular size donut pans with non-stick spray. I only had one regular size pan, so I baked one batch at a time.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.


In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the egg, yogurt, oil, buttermilk, vanilla bean paste and lemon zest.


Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Mix just until combined.


Divide batter evenly into the prepared donut pans, then spread to make smooth and uniform.


Bake approx 10-12 minutes or until donuts spring back when lightly touched. Do not overbake.

Remove pan from oven and allow to cool in pan for 1 minute then invert onto a cooling rack with parchment paper underneath. Turn donuts right side up.

While donuts are baking, make the glaze - combine the powdered sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice and mix until smooth. Add more powdered sugar for a thicker glaze if desired.

Allow the donuts to cool slightly then glaze while still warm by drizzling the glaze over the top or dunking the top of  the donuts directly into the glaze. I preferred dunking :)


Enjoy warm or room temperature. Store leftovers in an air tight container for up to one day.




No comments:

Post a Comment