Monday, February 4, 2013

Easy Blackberry/Raspberry Cobbler


What to make,what to make...That is the question 
I was asking myself last week. A friend recently asked me to bake  a dessert for a dinner her and her husband were attending. Originally I had apples in mind, but as soon as I went to the store and saw the beautiful in season berries, my whole idea changed! This is one of the great things about going grocery shopping... it's filled with endless ideas.  So with my basket filled with blackberries and raspberries I headed home. I looked around for a good recipe and finally settled on one by the Pioneer Woman.  I have changed the recipe up quite a bit, but the foundation is the same - to really focus on the seasonal fruit.  I did a test run on the recipe the day before, just to make sure all my flavors were working the way I pictured they would.  All I can say is this Easy Blackberry/ Raspberry Cobbler is DELICIOUS!  I rely on Earl for the final seal of approval when I do my taste testing.  He had two helpings, so yes, it passed the test! The blackberries and raspberries work wonderfully with the vanilla and orange zest. This dessert is fruity and fragrant, sweet and tart; the perfect combination. Top it off with some vanilla ice cream and you have nothing but perfection! Easy and Delicious, my type of recipe.


Happy Cooking!







Ingredients
1 stick Butter
1 cup Granulated Sugar
1 cup Self-Rising Flour
1 cup Whole Milk
1 vanilla bean
1/2 tablespoon orange zest
1 cup Raspberries (rinsed and patted dry)
1 cup Blackberries(rinsed and patted dry)
1/4 cup Turbindo Sugar (raw sugar works good too)


Prep work:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Butter a 2 quart casserole dish, set aside
Scrape vanilla bean and put seeds into 1 cup of milk, set aside.


Zest orange, 1/2 tablespoon is about one medium orange
In a small bowl, Melt butter (about 30 seconds in Microwave)

Directions:
In a medium size bowl pour white sugar  and flour. Mix using a whisk.


Add vanilla milk and whisk together.

Add melted butter,  Then add orange zest.

Mix until all the ingredients are well incorporated
Pour mixture into casserole dish. Spread evenly.

Taking the raspberries and blackberries, place them over the batter, 
pressing down lightly until the majority of the batter is covered.


Sprinkle Turbindo Sugar on top


Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes.  Top will be a light golden brown.


Serve with vanilla ice cream.
Enjoy!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment