Friday, March 22, 2013

Toasted Pecan Oatmeal Whoopie Piees


Well,this cookie has a very interesting story behind it. My co- worker at the office had made some oatmeal filled cookies which inspired me to try my own version of these cookies. Since I had a friend in town visiting from Indonesia,  it gave me the perfect opportunity to bake these for her and my other girlfriends as little gift.  So I started searching for the right recipe and filling. Of course I went to my favorite Pioneer Woman, and of course she had already made something similar for her family. So I decided to use her basic recipe except change the oats and add some freshly toasted pecans .  As for the filling, I really combined three recipes I found. I think my final result was delicious. So back to my story...I had just finished the dough when I noticed that my puppy was missing a staple the vet had just put on his leg for a little accident at the doggie park.


 So much for making these cookies, I put the dough in the refrigerator and headed to the Vet.... two hours later, I started the baking part of these cookies again.  As the cookies were baking I started on the filling, but noticed I had only 30 minutes to head to LA and the cookies had not finished cooling and I hadn't even started assembling them! I finally had to resign myself that these cookies were not going to be for my friends. So at this time I covered the filling and started to get ready to head out. On my way out I let my boyfriend know there were freshly baked cookies for him and his friend to taste test and off I went. After a great dinner with good friends, I came home to finish assembling the cookies and what do I see? Only 16 cookies left of the forty plus cookies I made!
I guess two things can be said...the cookies are amazing enough to stand on their own and only 8 cookies became Whoopie pies.  But let me tell you those were 8 delicious cookies!  The cookie is soft and crunchy. The toasted pecans gives them such a wonderful favor.   The filling is creamy and not too sweet with a creamy lemony flavor.  
I hope you give this recipe a try. They were delicious!
Enjoy!
Yvonne








Part 1
Toast the pecans
Preheat oven to 350

1 cup whole pecans

Place pecans on a cookie sheet.
Bake for 5-8 minutes.
Remove from oven and cool.
Once cooled, chop and set aside to add to cookie dough.





-------------------


Part 2
Cookies
2 cups brown sugar
1/2  sweet cream butter (soften)
1/4 cup shortening
2 large eggs
1/4 salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons boiling water
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/2 cups All purpose flour
1 cup Quick Oats
1 cup Traditional Oats (the bigger ones)
Line cookie tray with parchment paper.

Oven at 350 (same as pecans)

Mix the oats and flour together, set aside.

Mix together brown sugar, butter and shorting. 


Add eggs to sugar mixture, and mix to combine.


Add salt,cinnamon and baking powder to the mixture and mix to combine.


Mix the baking soda with the water (it will bubble up), add this baking soda mixture to the sugar and egg mixtue. Mix till everything is incorporated.



Add in the flour/Oat mixture and the roasted pecans to the batter. Mix but do not over mix. Just make sure everything is incorporated.


Scoop dough on to the lined cookie tray. The dough should look like balls.



Bake for 10-12 minutes.
Remove from cookie tray and cool on rack.


Part3
Filling
2 cups powder sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 oz cream cheese (soften)
1 jar of marshmallow cream (it located where the chocolate chips are)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
Mix together for about 3 minutes. If its too soft , place in refrigurator for 30 minutes.

Part4
Assembly
Take one cookie, add 1 tablespoon of the filling and add the second cookie for the top. Lightly press together. Put on rack till all finished. You can also refrigerate them for about 30 minutes so the mesh together better.




Enjoy!!!

For the original Pioneer Woman recipe, see link http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2012/04/oatmeal-whoopie-pies/



No comments:

Post a Comment