Thursday, March 13, 2014

My Favorite Red Velvet Buttercream

 
 
There are Red Velvet lovers and then there are Red Velvet haters. It's just one of those flavors that you either get or you don't. How do you even describe it? I think I have yet to come across an accurate description that actually captures the "flavor" of Red Velvet.
 
While I do love Red Velvet, I have never made a Red Velvet Cake or even Red Velvet Cupcakes until recently when I posted this Copycat Sprinkles Red Velvet Cupcake Recipe. However, the one thing I've always found lacking with Red Velvet was the chocolate flavor. I always wanted more chocolate...
 
So I thought why not capture both and let them both be the stars? Enter Red Velvet Buttercream Frosting!! I mean, where have you been all my life? It makes the perfect frosting for your favorite chocolate cupcake recipe and you don't even have to be a Red Velvet lover to enjoy it.
 
 
 
The secret ingredient in this recipe is Red Velvet Emulsion. Somehow, somewhere, someone found a way to capture the essence of Red Velvet in liquid form. I don't even know how to describe it other than....amazing.
 
 
 
I purchased my first bottle of Red Velvet Emulsion at Home Goods. It was on clearance in the Holiday section. I thought it would be one of those ingredients that just sat in my pantry unused until it expired and I would just throw it away. Until one day (one fateful day), I decided to use it and my world changed forever.
 
Now, you don't have to go scouring Home Goods looking for it because I just recently found out that they sell it at Walmart!
 
Give it a try and let me know what you think!
 
 
 

Red Velvet Buttercream
Adapted from Baking Robot
Makes enough for 12 cupcakes (liberally frosted)

Ingredients
2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
4- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 - 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt (use fine, not coarse)
3 teaspoons Red Velvet Bakery Emulsion + more if needed
4-5 tablespoons heavy whipping cream + more if needed

In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or in a large bowl using your hand held mixer), cream the butter at medium speed.

With mixer running, gradually add powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time and mix until thoroughly combined.

With mixer running, add the cocoa powder and salt. Then add the Red Velvet Bakery Emulsion.

Increase speed and continue beating. Add a few tablespoons of heavy whipping cream and beat at high speed for a few minutes until fluffy. Gradually add more whipping cream a little at a time (if needed) to reach desired consistency.

** As with all buttercream frosting recipes, the measurements really are to taste. Add more cocoa powder if you prefer a more pronounced chocolate taste. Add more Bakery Emulsion to increase the Red Velvet color and flavor. Adjust the amount of whipping cream to achieve your desired consistency. I prefer my buttercream more on the lighter/fluffier side so I usually whip the frosting for several minutes and add whipping cream as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment