Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Mexican Gorditas (Griddle Cookies)

             
 
 


Most of us have those cherished childhood memories of our moms making us a special treat. One of my favorite memories as a kid was my mom making these Gorditas (Mexican Griddle Cookies). Seeing her make these cookies usually meant we were in for a treat of Gorditas with Mexican hot chocolate... yummy! I can still picture myself as a young girl patiently waiting until they were done... 
 
  I have to admit, I still consider myself that same lucky girl. My mom is in her late sixties and still makes special treats for her family. I was having a lucky day this past weekend, when both my dad and I asked her to make Gorditas within the same week. I guess great minds think alike! 
 
This time I made of point of having my mom measure the ingredients as she prepared the dough so I could document it for the blog. One thing about my mom, she doesn't use a single measuring cup or spoon. Trying to get any recipe from her through the years has been a bit challenging. Well this time, you guys are in for treat!  These cookies are tasty and delicious. They have a buttery flavor with a hint of cinnamon.  They are excellent with a cup of coffee or cup of hot chocolate.  They are great for breakfast (which I had this morning) or an afternoon snack.
 
This is one of my most cherished family recipes and I hope you give it a try.
 
 
Happy Cooking Everyone

Mexican Gorditas (Griddle Cookies)
Makes 18-20

Ingredients:
4 cups all purpose flour
2 cups salted butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 tablespoons baking soda
1/4 cup evaporated milk
3 large eggs, room temp

1. Place all ingredients together in a large bowl



2. Knead with your hands until combined


 
 

3. The dough will have a shiny look.  Allow the dough to rest 30-60 minutes. This is an important step to allow the flavors to combine.


5. Once dough has rested, divide into18-20 balls (about 2 inches wide)


6. Between two pieces of wax paper, roll the balls into 5 inch circles. Use a Mexican tortilla press if you have one. They work amazing.

7. Cook cookies on a heated griddle about 3-4 minutes on each side. The cookies should appear toasted.
















8. Cool on at kitchen towel for about 5 minutes and enjoy! The cookies will get a bit harder the next day, but it makes them even better for coffee.




Enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment