Thursday, July 7, 2016

Raspberry & Meyer Lemon Madeleines for #theleftoversclub

What are Meyer Lemons still doing in the grocery stores? I'm not sure, but when I saw them in the produce section while I was grocery shopping the other day, I snatched some right up!
 
As you probably already know by this post and this one and this one, Meyer Lemons are one of my all-time favorite citrus fruits to bake with. I actually prefer them over regular lemons.

 
 
Finding these Meyer Lemons in the store was perfect timing for me because the theme of this month's Leftover Club exchange is citrus! The zest and juice of any citrus fruit adds so much flavor to your food whether you are cooking or baking.
 
I decided to use the Meyer Lemons in one of my all-time favorite cookies, French madeleines. French pastries hold a very special place in my heart. What's not to love about a good French pastry? I could eat flaky croissants, kouign amann and macarons every day! 





I hope my partner Kathia from Basic n Delicious enjoys them!


If you'd like to exchange yummy baked goods with fellow food bloggers from around the country and receive a special package in the mail each month, sign up over at Alwayz Bakin'! We'd love to have you in the group!




 

Raspberry & Meyer Lemon Madeleines
Makes 2 1/2 dozen madeleines

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2/3 cup granulated sugar
zest from one meyer lemon
3 large eggs, room temp
1/4 cup milk
juice of one meyer lemon
13 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temp
fresh raspberries
powdered sugar for dusting (optional)

Directions:

Butter and flour a madeleine pan. Set aside.

Combine flour and baking powder in a small bowl. Set aside.

In another small bowl whisk together the lemon juice, milk and cooled butter. Set aside.

Place the sugar in a small bowl with the lemon zest and crush the zest with the sugar using your finger tips. This process will release the oils from the lemon zest into the sugar and create a lemon scented sugar. Set aside.

In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or in a large bowl using your electric hand mixer), beat the eggs and lemon scented sugar together at medium speed until pale (approx.   min).

Add 1/3 of the flour mixture and mix at low speed just until combined. Add half of the butter/milk mixture and mix just until combined. Repeat this process ending with the flour mixture making sure to scrape down the bottom and sides of the mixing bowl as needed.

Scoop about 1 heaping tablespoon of dough into each cup of the madeleine pan and press a raspberry into the center of each mound of dough.

Bake at 375f for approx. 10 minutes or until lightly golden brown at the edges.

Cool in the pan for 1 minute then gently remove to a wire cooling rack. Dust with powdered sugar if desired.

Madeleines are best eaten the day they are baked.



5 comments:

  1. Yum! Meyer's are my favorite too. Looks like I have about 20 growing on my tree this cycle 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky! I would try to grow some too but I kill everything : (

      Delete
  2. I love baking with lemons! These madeleines look scrumptious. What could be better that the combination of raspberries and lemon?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete