Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Broiled Salmon Skewers with Baked Brown Rice



Now that my husband and I are empty nesters, I'm having to adjust my cooking style for two people instead of a family of five especially since I'm not a fan of leftovers. Cooking in smaller quantities definitely takes some getting used to. In addition, we're also trying to adopt a healthier lifestyle. The other night I made Broiled Salmon Skewers and Baked Brown Rice. Easy, delicious, and really healthy. I paired them with some steamed broccoli for a perfect, healthy weeknight meal.



Broiled Salmon Skewers and Baked Brown Rice
Makes 4 skewers

Broiled Salmon Skewers
1 lb fresh salmon (try to get a thicker cut), cut into 1.5" cubes
2 tablespoons fresh parsley
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
Assorted Veggies - I used yellow and red bell pepper cut into large pieces and small cherry tomatoes which I kept whole.

If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes before assembling your skewers. This will prevent them from burning under the broiler.

Make the marinade: Place all ingredients in a small bowl and stir to combine. 




Assemble the skewers then place them in a large resealable ziploc bag. Add the marinade and rub to spread the marinade over the skewers.



Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

Set your oven to broil.

Place your oven rack 6" away from the heating element.

Place the skewers on a broiler pan or baking sheet lined with non-stick foil (or spray regular foil with nonstick spray).






Broil for 3-4 minutes then turn over and broil 3-4 minutes more or until desired doneness is reached.

Remove from oven and serve with brown rice and broccoli or any other side of your choice.



Baked Brown Rice

I found this recipe for Baked Brown Rice from Alton Brown. I liked that it was simple and cooked in the oven instead of the stove top or in a rice cooker (since I don't have one!). It turned out moist, fluffy and delicious. This is now my go-to recipe for brown rice. I encourage you to give it a try.




2 comments:

  1. thanks girl- gonna make it this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Let us know how you like it. I wanted to add zucchini to the skewers for extra color but I didn't have any. It would have been so pretty : )

      Delete