Thursday, August 30, 2012

Hatch Chile Chorizo Frittata


 It's Hatch Chile season! Hatch Chiles are grown in New Mexico and are only available 6 weeks out of the year so get them while you can...
 
Since Chorizo and Chiles are such a great combination, and breakfast is my favorite meal, I decided to combine them into this delicious breakfast Frittata.
 

 
Hatch Chile and Chorizo Frittata
Serves 4

Ingredients:
5 - 7 large hatch chiles (depending on size)
1 tomato diced (I used a Roma tomato)
4 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
3 green onions, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
6 ounces of pork chorizo
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder (I ran out of chipotle chile powder so I used Ancho. It was spicy! But my family loved it...)
1 cup shredded cheese (I used a combination of Colby and Monterey Jack)
Salt & pepper to taste

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350F

Roast the chiles until they are  blackened on all sides by placing them directly on your burner over low heat or under the broiler. Here are instructions for roasting in the broiler.




Place the chiles in a plastic storage bag and seal the bag to allow them to steam. Set aside for 15 minutes. This makes it easier to remove the skin.

After 15 minutes, remove from the bag and place on a cutting board. Remove the skin by running a knife along the outside.

Slice off the top of each chile and slice open. Remove the seeds (or as much of them as possible).



In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, spices and salt and pepper. Set aside.



In a medium size oven proof skillet (mine was 10"), heat 1 tablespoon of canola oil. Saute the green onions and garlic. Add the chorizo and tomatoes and cook until fully cooked and the fat from the chorizo has rendered down.

 
Remove the chorizo mixture from the skillet and wipe out the skillet.

Spray the same skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Place a single layer of the hatch chiles in the skillet. Spread half of the chorizo mixture over the chiles and top with half of the cheese.

Repeat the layering process one more time.



Pour the egg mixture into the skillet, distributing as evenly as possible.



Bake in the oven for approximately 25 minutes or until the eggs are set in the center and no longer jiggly.



Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before serving. Serve warm.



Store any leftovers tightly wrapped in the refrigerator for up to 1 day. Reheat in the microwave.


Note: I've read that some Hatch Chiles can be spicier than others and the only way to tell is by tasting them so I recommend doing a little taste test on your chiles before determing how many you want to use. Also, if Hatch Chiles are no longer in season, you can still enjoy this recipe using any other mild chile (anaheim or poblano are good substitutes).

Source: Adapted from Daisy's World



4 comments:

  1. oh my WORD that looks like a phenomenal frittata!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ann! I just read that some Hatch Chiles can be spicier than others and the only way to tell is by tasting them. Guess I'll have to add a warning : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a wonderful meal, isn't it? I bought more hatch chiles to freeze so I can have them through the fall. Thanks for crediting me with your wonderful adaptation of my recipe.

    daisy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daisy for sharing your recipe and for inspiring me to make this adaptation! My family loved it.

      Delete